SQL Developer Releases
On the SQL Developer side of things we released:
- SQL Developer 1.5.4: The first full translation release supporting Japanese, Spanish, Italian, German, French, Brazilian Portuguese, Simplified Chinese and Korean (March 2009)
- SQL Developer 1.5.5: Shipped with Oracle Database 11g Release 2 (July 2009)
- SQL Developer 1.5.6: Part of Oracle JDeveloper 11g (July 2009)
Data Modeler Releases
We also have a few developers on the team dedicated to the Data Modeler. The first production release of SQL Developer Data Modeler was in July 2009 and we released the first patch release in December 2009. This patch release is a full install and addresses many of the initial customer issues.
SQL Developer 2.1 Publication
On a personal note, I spent many a weekend writing last year and in December '09, my book on SQL Developer 2.1 was published. Having been approached by the publisher in 2008, I asked other authors if this was a good idea. I was told there three phases:
- Before the book - seems like a good idea, what fun and all that.
- During the book - not a good idea, will this ever end, who's idea was this? and all that
- After the book - that was easy...where's the next?
The other snag about writing a book as the product is being developed is that very new features or last minute updates won't make it into the book. The case in point here is that there is no section on Unit Testing. Perhaps next time.
If you have no idea about SQL Developer the first few chapters provide an easy walk through and examples of the product and features. While designed as a "dip in and read" book, the later chapters go into more detail about lesser used features. Although the full read/write capability of the Data Modeler is not part of SQL Developer, there is a complete chapter on this product, allowing you an insight into the complete functionality. You can also use the read-only viewer built into SQL Developer.
In the meantime, I'm going to take back my weekends for photography, my garden, and my other hobbies, so I need to dust down my camera and get out into the country side again. Aah, and the cover shot on the book was taken in Scotland, at the foot of Ben Nevis.
To order the book, use Packt.com, where you can buy the hard copy or an eBook. Packt also provide a list of other book sellers such as Amazon. Happy reading!