31 July 2006

Something to Whet the Appetite: Sneak Peak 1

Have you been to the SQL Developer home page on OTN recently? Did you spot the Statement of Direction? We have just released this document on OTN and hope it'll give you an idea of the features planned for next few releases.

A statement of direction typically does not drill down to the finer level of the features, so as I was tracking forum issues and the progress of bugs and enhancements logged in the latest developer build, I thought you might be interested in a sneak peak at a few little bits you've been asking for. You won't see these until SQL Developer 1.1, and I'm not a great fan of 'vaporware', so I won't do too many of these, but in the next few weeks I'll do a few little blog entries to show a few things to look out for in SQL Developer 1.1.

Take a look at the Table Definition Tabs:






The illustration shows one of the most frequently requested features, which is to be able to sort on column headers. This feature is throughout the product now on any grid of data, whether it's instance data or the object definitions. Notice that once you've clicked on the column header, in this case Column Name, the direction of the sort is also indicated.

(Just click on the image for a larger view)










The second illustration shows another frequently asked for feature, which is to display a single record on a form layout. This is particularly useful if you have great chunks of text that you need to read.












More later this week.



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sue, great start!.

The one feature that I am personally hoping for is the the much used "Toad F4" type functionality where you place your cursor (or highlight) on a table/view name and on pressing F4, it describes the table/view in the Table Definition Tabs.

Thanks,

Manish

Sue said...

OK, I'll do a few screen shots of that later this week.

Sue

Anonymous said...

I'd like to see the ability to auto-load a login script like SQLPlus, so that I don't have to type in:
alter session set NLS_DATE_FORMAT=...
Doesn't have to be a script, some saved settings would be even better.

Anonymous said...

>"Toad F4" type functionality

I totally agree. If SQL Developer had that functionality, I may switch over permanently.

Anonymous said...

I would just like to see the following issues resolved.
a) Colums with datatype DATE do not show the time part. I have to do to_char(...) or alter session...to see the time part.
b) Difference of columns of datatype TIMESTAMP shows null.
c) In the latest release of SQL Developer, 15.57, it will not let me create a connection entry based on TNS connect identifier. I get a failure t2cGetCharSet. If I use the server name, port number and service name, it works fine.

Sue said...

Thanks for all the feedback and feature requests. Please can you add any feature requests to the SQL Developer Forum (http://forums.oracle.com/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=260), so that other Forum users can see and reposnd to them. You'll also see that some of your requests are already there

Sue